Pages

Friday, November 14, 2014

Swarlie, We're not in Kansas anymore!

I am a person that remembers every single solitary date. I'm not talking about Columbus sailed the ocean blue in fourteen hundred ninety two, I mean the completely useless ones, like the birthday of someone I met ten years ago and haven't seen since, or the day I bought a specific pair of jeans. With that being said I have no idea what day I finished my very first scarf. I know it was November, and we are nearing the very middle of the month so I'm going to say it's been a year. Let me tell ya, I can't believe how much I've learned since then. If we are being honest, I'm surprised I haven't gotten tired of knitting and given it up completely, because I am not a person you would describe as patient.





After lots and lots of what I call "knitting anxiety", finally learning that they are called knitting needles, not knitting tools, ripping it out and starting over countless times because I couldn't remember how to cast on, and finally finding out that youtube is a miracle in the knitting world, I made this baby. I was so excited about this yarn back in good ol' 2013, but now, to me it just looks like I made this yarn out of funfetti cake mix. I straight knit this bad boy on size 15 needles and I was on top of the world.






This is another scarf I made in those early days, and as basic as it is, to this day it's the scarf I get the most compliments on. I liked the way that arm knitting looked for the most part, but I thought it was just too open. I didn't like how large the gaps in the yarn were so I got some chunky yarn and knit this sucker on size 17 needles. It literally took an hour so it's perfect to knit as a gift. It looks super fancy but in reality it could't be more basic.





Crocheting scared me for months, but I finally decided to take the plunge. I didn't have a pattern really, I just made three long strips, chaining (Don't hate me if my crochet lingo is off) until the strip was long enough to go around my neck and hang like I wanted it to. I did 5 rows of double crochet for each, but I would recommend doing 7 or 8 because it wasn't quite as fluffy as I was hoping. Next, I braided them together and BAM! You've got yourself a scarf. It's quite the crowd pleaser too. I asked my boyfriend if he liked it and his exact words were "It's proportional to your body." I guess that's a compliment?

No comments:

Post a Comment