Pages

Saturday, October 3, 2015

Engagement Photo Prop - Wooden Sign

Another one of my favorite DIY's for the engagement photos was our sign. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do exactly, because while chalkboards are fun and cute, I feel like I've seen them EVERY WHERE.  I don't know about you but there is only so much room for chalkboard paraphernalia (definitely had to spell check that word, no shame) in my life. I wanted to be a little different so I'm steering clear of all wedding things involving chalk. 
I was lucky enough to be able to find this sign already put together at Hobby Lobby in the wood section. 

I'm not talented enough to freehand lettering, so I had my mom cut out a stencil for me with her Silhouette. That thing is magic, I tell ya. I was able to use it to paint the lettering on. I should have sanded the wood some in order for the paint to go on smoother, but I liked the color and was afraid of losing some of that aged quality. 

Of course, I had to get my Swarlie cat involved in the pictures somehow. (First cat our photographers ever had at a session! Not sure how proud of that I should be...) Unfortunately I was unable to find a small version for her to hold, (ha), so I purchased some of Hobby Lobby's precut tiny, little, wood strips and hot glued them in the exact style of the larger one. It's pretty obvious in the picture that white was NOT the color to go with on her sign, it's almost illegible. If you can't read it, it says, "Me Too!"


This is one of my favorite parts of our shoot, because it has my guy's name on it, which is almost my name (eek!), and it's something I was able to make. Even if anyone takes my advice and makes their own, we will all end up with unique keepsakes that are special to us alone!

I also want to take a moment to talk about our photographers. First of all, as you can see by these photos, they are beyond talented. However, they are also two of the kindest people ever. From the first time I met with them for a consultation, I knew we made the right choice. Tony and Elena made the engagement pictures so much fun, which is really saying something, since we took these photos in a semi-crowded town, on Easter Sunday, with people literally staring at us the whole time. (Granted, we wanted to do them early in the morning when we could have the town to ourselves, but Landan and I were in the middle of school/EMT rotations in College Station so Tony and Elena were nice enough to meet us there on Easter while we were both in town.) Neither of us had any experience with professional photos but we felt comfortable through the entire experience. My bridal pictures are coming up next week and I can't wait to see Tony and Elena again! For their website, click here. If you want to see our entire set of engagement photos, they can be found (along with all of their other amazing work) at their blog, here.

 If you have any questions about how this sign was made, please don't hesitate to ask! What have you made to use as a prop in photos?





No comments:

Post a Comment