Pages

Saturday, September 12, 2015

Jewelry Box - Part One

I'm splitting this up into a couple posts, because it's just a lot of information. Or, it's because I'm just really excited to share it even though it's not done. Yup. That's it. 
I made this jewelry box a couple of years ago and it did the job decently. But it definitely had flaws. 


Issues:
1. The way we hung it was stupid so I either needed new hardware or a different box. Wonder what won?
2. There was no where to put stud earrings. Sure, I could just throw them in the box but that's not very neat/tidy/effective. 
3. My watches had no home, probably because at the time I had exactly *one* watch.
4. I saw some cute drawer knobs on clearance at Hobby Lobby and I really wanted them but had nothing to do with them. 

I looked on pinterest some, but AS USUAL not one of them was everything that I wanted. So I laid out my (sad and small) collection of jewelry so that I could get an idea of sizes and measurements. I ended up deciding I needed about 14 by 20 of space. I wanted to construct a shallow box to hang on my wall, this time displaying the jewelry IN the box instead of ON it. 


I stole all the hardware right off of the old box. I spray painted it gold, obviously, because I'm me and I have a genuine obsession with gold. It's getting out of hand.

Also, when you live in an apartment, you have to be creative about spray painting. The people who work here are probably a lot more strict about having their grass spray painted gold by accident than my parents are. So I ended up getting a basket and lining it with foil and painting in the bottom of the basket. Even though I personally liked the gold grass. ;) And then I decided that I want to eventually paint that basket. But that is another project for another day. 


To finalize the measurements for the hooks and knobs, I laid out all my jewelry again and used a tape measure (and my pitiful attempt at a ruler, as seen in this post).

And that's where I'm at! 

Next up:
-Paint (I lost my paintbrushes, so I either need to buy more or figure out where I packed them.) I'm definitely going to use the same paint I used two years ago because I still stand by that choice. As long as I have enough of it left. 
-Find new screws for the gold (formerly black) knobs. The original ones stick out from the back of my box and definitely will not work. 
-Actually buy those pretty drawer pulls I have my heart set on from Hobby Lobby. I'm crossing my fingers that they are still there.

No comments:

Post a Comment