Pages

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Upholstered Headboard - DIY

I know I have two unfinished projects to update you on, and I promise I will. But, I am way too excited to wait to show you this! Even though both the dresser (here) and the jewelry box (here) are finished, my impatience is getting the best of me for now. 

Let me just try to contain my excitement long enough to get some words out about this project. This was so much fun. I saw this tutorial on my favorite blog ever, here. (Seriously I think we should be best friends, we are both named Kelly/Kellie and I totally get her humor, and I love almost everything she does) We literally just copied this exactly. I was nervous, because she said this was a rough shape to upholster, but whether it was her warnings and tips, or just luck, it was not bad at all. We started this project and were done with it in less than 24 hours, including gathering all the supplies. 
Landan measured and cut out the shape using the directions from the blog I linked to above. To me that looks crazy intricate and stressful but he did it with no sweat. On the back of his truck. In our apartment parking lot. While I apologized to people walking by for the noise. If they could only see how pretty it turned out I'm sure they'd forgive us. ;)

For the batting, we used a foam mattress topper as a substitute. It was far cheaper and it was already cut for us, so it was a win win. 
With the foam stapled on, we did the same process and stapled on the white muslin as a lining fabric. Kelly from View Along the Way said that the lining fabric serves as a "practice" for applying the nice fabric. She was SO right. By the time we did the foam, and lining, the last piece of fabric was a breeze. We were a well oiled machine by that point and everything went beyond smoothly. 

Although, that being said, there is no way you could convince me to do this by myself. I'm telling you, a minimum of four hands is required, and unless you can pull that off alone somehow, you really need a buddy. 

See my artsy "nailhead trim" picture? Yep, you're jealous of my photography skillz, I know it. 

This part was a little stressful because we knew it would be very obvious if we made a mistake but we just measured each one (you only have to nail in 1 out of every 5 nails) before hammering it. But LOOK!

Not to brag or anything, but ISN'T IT AMAZING???

If you need us, we will be patting ourselves on the back. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment